Continuing from where I left off in my last post, for the next week I still had an EA project that required my group to present our final proposal to some of the employees of NB gardens. For that week we focused on finalising the diagrams and reports that we needed for either the presentation or the final report. Everybody had to do a test as well on the friday. This was to test our knowledge of Enterprise Architecture that we learnt over the two weeks.During the week I revised for thirty minutes everyday previous to the exam and on the friday the day of the exam we had one final hour to revise for it.
The exam itself wasn’t too difficult but I did have problems with some questions specifically about UML diagrams and BPMNs. In the end I felt like I didn’t dedicate enough time to final question (correcting a BPMN) but overall I was happy about the exam.
Later on in the day all the groups had to present, we were the final group to present. Most of the group presentations went rather well, although the trainers did seem a bit harsh on the first group that presented, even though they technically didn’t propose any solutions. Our presentation seemed to go very well, though I’m not that confident public speaking. So I did feel as though I was one of the worst at presenting in our group. I do feel i’m improving at public speaking with the experience I’m getting whilst QA.
I was supposed to find what technology I was going to specialise in on the friday as well. But this was moved to monday morning. Where I found out that I will possibly specialising in Microsoft Azure. I don’t know much about cloud computing, but it does sound very interesting and I’m very interested to learn about it.
But anyone that was learning cloud computing first has to learn a bit of DevOps. So to start off we learnt about using puppet. We had to create virtual machines and use puppet to provision java and maven on the machines.
Then once we had learnt the basics we were put into groups to create an entire continuous integration pipeline using puppet. We had to create master and a few agents and then create modules that would install various technologies.
Also all the groups were given a leader of their groups for the first few days. Our leader was Alex for the first few days, he was pretty good as leader and he lead a scrum for us all to start with.
The project needed to be fully automated so that on the command vagrant up the virtual machines would start and install the modules. For the first week we set up the vagrant files and familiarised ourselves with github and jira. In the first week I also created the git module which was simple to make using puppet’s package resource to check it was installed.